Services will be shut off 10 days after due date if bill is unpaid
FAILURE TO RECEIVE A BILL DOES NOT WAIVE PAST DUE PENALTY
If your water bill seems high check immediately for leaks in your system. A dripping faucet or other unsuspected leaks may be the cause of a high bill.
WATER WASTE AT 40 POUND PRESSURE
- A 1/32' leak wastes 170 gallons in 24 hours
- A 1/16' leak wastes 970 gallons of water in 24 hours
- A 1/8' leak wastes 3,600 gallons in 24 hours
Charter Township of Madison
Water Service Shut-Off Policy
1. The Township has the right to discontinue water service, with notice, for non-payment of the water bill. When a bill is not paid by the due date as shown on the water bill, the following collection procedures will be implemented to facilitate payment and/or collection:
a. An overdue notice will be sent to the customer giving those ten (10) days to pay their account in full or to make arrangements acceptable to the Township. The notice will advise the customer that failure to pay the account in full, together with a ten dollar ($10) overdue notice fee, or to make payment arrangements will result in the water service being shut off.
b. If the account is not paid in full or acceptable arrangements to pay are not made and accepted by the Township, a Charter Township of Madison representative will be sent to shut off the water service after expiration of the ten (10) day notice.
c. If the water is shut off, a fifty dollar ($50) shut-off charge will be added to their account. A notice will be left with the customer or at the residence notifying the customer that the water has been shut off due to delinquency. The notice will list the amount past due, including the ten dollar ($10) overdue notice fee and the fifty dollar ($50) shut-off fee, and instruct the customer to pay the account at Township Hall. The delinquent account must be paid at Township Hall.
d. When the account is paid in full, including the ten dollar ($10) overdue notice fee and the fifty dollar ($50) shut-off charge, water service will be reactivated. The customer or a representative of the customer must be present when the water service is reactivated due to the possibility of water damage inside the home when water service is reinstated.
2. The Township has the right to discontinue water service, without notice, for the following reasons:
a. To prevent fraud or abuse.
b. Due to the customer's willful disregard of Utilities Department Policies.
c. For emergency repairs.